Cooking was never my thing. I was always baking or folding laundry (surely I'm not the only one). But cooking? It frustrated me. This was probably largely due to growing up with a Korean momma who insisted I learn how to cook by watching her do it.
Umma, how much of that did you just put in?
Ah, about this much. (Shows me an indeterminate amount for half a second before dropping it and then glaring at me.) You can learn this. Just watch what I do.
Let's just say that I never did learn, through osmosis, how to cook all the amazing food she conjured up regularly. Of course, at the time, it wasn't amazing to me--it was just the food we had to eat every day. It was boring and not "American" enough. It wasn't until I left home and had to feed myself that I really had to figure out this cooking thing. And during those first few meals I had to cook myself, I realized that there would be less figuring than I had anticipated. As I chopped carefully at an onion, I noticed that I automatically did it the way that Umma always had. What utensil to use for stirring? Chopsticks. How to test for rice/noodle "doneness"? Pop a mouthful or strand in your mouth and chew. And so on. I was amazed at how much I could copy subconsciously. And I realized something else--cooking was a way for my momma to spend time with me. Our bond, those memories, were all steadily waiting to be tested and tasted.
All of a sudden, cooking became easy and fun.
Cheers, Umma, this is for you!
Cold Cucumber and Seaweed Soup
1 1/4 c cucumber,cut into matchstick-sized pieces
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green chile pepper, sliced thinly
1/4 c scallion
1/4 c red bell pepper, cut into small matchsticks
1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 c of cold water (purified or boiled and cooled down)
Some ice cubes
- Get a bowl ready for your soup, one that can hold more than 2 cups.
- Put all the ingredients together in the bowl, except for the water and ice, and toss well.
- Pour in the cold water and stir a few times.
- Throw in a generous handful of ice cubes.
No comments:
Post a Comment